This caprese salad omelette is just as great as a quick breakfast, easy lunch or weeknight supper. Need a bit more? Add chicken or roasted chickpeas.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 15 min
2 tbsp oil
1 garlic clove, sliced
⅓ cup baby tomatoes
2 tbsp milk
¼ cup mozzarella, torn into pieces
3 tbsp Cheddar, grated
1 tbsp basil pesto
¼ cup fresh basil
1 slice wholewheat toast
1. Fry garlic in 1 tbsp oil until golden brown (1–2 minutes). Remove from the pan.
2. Add tomatoes and fry until they start to blister and soften. Set aside.
3. In a bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Heat remaining oil in a non-stick pan over low-medium heat. Pour in the egg mixture and swirl the pan so that it forms an even layer.
5. Let the egg cook for 2–3 minutes, until the middle starts to set.
6. Sprinkle mozzarella and Cheddar over one half and dot small spoonfuls of pesto. Once cooked through and the cheese has melted, top the same side with the garlic, tomatoes and fresh basil.
7. Use a spatula to flip the other side of the caprese salad omelette over the fillings and slide it on to a plate. Serve with toast.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Who knew the traditional caprese salad could be so versatile? The next time you bring the braai out, try these caprese boerie rolls.