We’re a sucker for adding local flair to our favourite recipes, and this Cape snoek pasta paella is no exception! Make it for a weeknight family treat.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
200 g chorizo
Olive oil, to fry
1 red pepper
½ cup white wine
1 cup tinned chopped tomatoes
3 garlic cloves, chopped
250 g orzo
300 g snoek
3 cups chicken stock
1 cup parsley
1 tsp chilli flakes, optional
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Fry the chorizo over high heat for 5 minutes. Set aside.
3. Heat some oil over medium heat, and fry the onions and red pepper until soft. Add the wine and deglaze the pan, scraping all the bits from the bottom.
4. Add the chorizo, tinned tomatoes and the garlic. Simmer for 5 minutes. Add the orzo and stir well.
5. Pour the pasta into a casserole dish. Place the snoek in the middle, add the stock and give it one big stir.
6. Cover and bake for 10 minutes, until the fish is cooked and the pasta is al dente.
7. Sprinkle with parsley and chilli flakes to serve.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za