Give the BBQ sauce a break and try something completely different with your wings. How about Cambodian curry chicken wings with a side of rice?
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 50 min
2 garlic cloves, minced
2 cm ginger, grated
2 red chillies, seeded and finely chopped, plus extra to garnish
Zest and juice of 1 lime
½ cup coconut milk
2 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp nutmeg
12 chicken wings
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
1. Make a marinade by combining the garlic, ginger, chilli, lime, coconut milk and spices.
2. Arrange the chicken wings in a single layer in a shallow container and pour over the marinade. Toss to coat. Marinate for 2 hours.
3. Mix the honey, soy sauce and fish sauce, to baste.
4. Place wings skin-side down on a braai grid over medium-hot coals. Braai for 15 minutes, then brush both sides with the basting sauce and braai for another 5–10 minutes, until crispy.
5. Serve the wings topped with the micro herbs, red chilli and some cooked rice.
Recipe: Jezza Rae Larsen
Styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Nothing beats classic Peri-peri chicken wings, but with a healthy side twist!