Up your potato bake game with MasterChef SA Finalist Siphokazi Mdlankomo’s potato and cabbage bake. It’ll make a deliciously creamy side to all your favourite mains!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 55 min
12 large cabbage leaves
6 large potatoes, peeled, parboiled and sliced
1 tbsp olive oil
2 tsp crushed garlic
400 g cheddar, sliced
1 onion, peeled and sliced
250 ml cream
40 g potato bake seasoning
5 sprigs thyme, leaves only
1. Preheat oven to 200°C and grease a cake tin.
2. Blanch the cabbage in a pot of salted boiling water for 1 minute. Drain and refresh in cold water. Set aside on paper towel.
3. Toss the potatoes with oil and garlic to coat.
4. Line the tin with the potatoes, add a layer of cheese, then a layer of cabbage leaves. Repeat until all the potatoes, cabbage and cheese are used up. Finish with a layer of sliced onion.
5. Mix the cream and potato bake seasoning and pour over the bake. Sprinkle with thyme.
6. Bake for 30–35 minutes, until cooked through, and onions and cabbage are golden and crisp.
Styling: Luisa Hayes
Photography: Juliette Bisset