Make your favourite snack even more delicious with this fun baking recipe! Get the kids involved and dive into these butterscotch popcorn balls.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 25 min
6 cups popped popcorn (±¼ cup kernels)
375 g caster sugar
90 ml water
20 g butter
1. Line a baking tray. Ensure you have ice-lolly sticks and a wooden spoon close by. (You’ll have to work quickly; sugar sets fast.) Place popcorn in a bowl.
2. Melt sugar and water in a pot over medium heat. To stop sugar crystals forming, avoid stirring and rather swirl the pot every now and then. When sugar is dark caramel in colour, remove from the heat and stir in butter.
3. Immediately start pouring the caramel over the popcorn, while stirring with the wooden spoon, ensuring all popcorn is covered.
4. Start forming the mixture into balls using your hands. If it is too hot, use latex gloves.
5. Insert a stick into each ball and place on the tray to set. Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Recipe & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli
For something a little more grown-up, try this spicy popcorn brittle.