Make your own delicious crispy chicken at home and add it to a salad, wrap, pita or serve it for dinner with a side of potatoes.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min + overnight
4 chicken breasts
1½ cups buttermilk
3 eggs, whisked
1 cup coconut flour
1 cup desiccated coconut
2 tsp Cajun spice
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
½ tsp salt
Vegetable oil, to shallow-fry
1. Use a meat mallet to flatten the chicken breasts. Make sure they are more or less the same thickness throughout, to ensure even cooking.
2. Pour 1 cup buttermilk over the chicken. Place in the fridge and leave to marinate overnight.
3. Preheat oven to 200°C.
4. In a bowl, mix the eggs and remaining ½ cup buttermilk. In another bowl, mix coconut flour, desiccated coconut, Cajun spice, bicarb and salt.
5. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture, then in the coconut mixture, then repeat.
6. Heat the oil and shallow-fry the chicken for a few minutes on each side, until golden and crispy all over.
7. Bake for 15 minutes, until cooked through.
8. Slice up the chicken breasts and serve with sweet-and-sour sauce (see right) on the side.