These buckwheat crêpes with stone-fruit syrup are a healthy summery breakfast option if you’re looking for a gluten-free alternative.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 35 min
For the crêpes
1 cup milk
¾ cup buckwheat flour
¼ cup lukewarm water
¼ tsp baking soda
Olive oil, for frying
For the syrup
2 plums, pips removed
2 peaches, pips removed
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp olive oil
¼ cup boiling water
1 tsp vanilla essence
3 tbsp chopped almonds, toasted
1. Blend all crêpe ingredients together until smooth. Pour into a jug. Chill in the fridge for 10 minutes.
2. Heat a non-stick pan over medium heat and brush with oil. Ladle in ¼ cup batter and swirl to coat the base. Allow edges to brown, then flip and cook for 20 seconds.
3. For the syrup, toss the fruit with the sugar. Heat oil in a pan and add fruit, placing cut-side down. Brown for 3 minutes, then turn over.
4. Pour in the water and vanilla. Boil for 10 minutes, until it becomes syrupy.
5. Serve the crêpes with fruit, a drizzle of syrup and a sprinkle of toasted almonds.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto/HMimages.co.za