Buckwheat is not as common as other grains, but it’s loaded with nutrients! Go for a healthy morning meal with these buckwheat breakfast muffins.
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 45 min
½ cup oats
1½ cups buckwheat flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
⅔ cup yoghurt
⅓ cup vegetable oil
2 bananas, mashed
4 tbsp honey
3 eggs, beaten
½ cup blueberries
¼ cup almond flakes
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease and line a 12-hole muffin tray.
2. Pulse the oats in a food processor until they resemble a coarse flour.
3. Mix with the remaining dry ingredients.
4. In a separate bowl, mix the yoghurt, oil, bananas, honey and eggs. Fold into the dry ingredients until just combined. Gently fold in the blueberries.
5. Spoon the batter evenly into the prepared tray and top each with a sprinkling of almond flakes.
6. Bake for 20–25 minutes, until cooked through.
Recipe: Nicola Naudé
Styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Buckwheat your new favourite grain? Try these spiced speculaas buckwheat cookies.