One thing we hate here at MyKitchen HQ is wasting food. So if you have made way too much mashed potato, we’ll come to your rescue with our homely, comforting bubble and squeak. And even if you don’t have any leftovers, whip some up to make this lovely family meal.
SERVES 4 // HANDS-ON 25 min
2 tbsp butter
½ savoy cabbage, a slice reserved to garnish, the rest shredded
500g leftover mashed potato
2 eggs, beaten
Salt and black pepper
80g bacon, chopped
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
1. Melt 1 tbsp butter in a pan, add the shredded cabbage and fry for 5 minutes, until slightly wilted.
2. Remove the cabbage from the pan. Mix with the mashed potato and eggs, and season.
3. In the same pan, fry the bacon and onion for 10 minutes, until the bacon is browned and the onion is soft. Add the garlic and fry for another minute.
4. Add the cabbage-potato mixture and spread it to cover the base of the pan.
5. Fry for a few minutes, until golden, then flip over to cook the other side.
6. Melt the remaining butter in a pan and fry the cabbage slice until charred.
7. Transfer the bubble and squeak to a serving plate and top with the charred cabbage.