You can have just as much fun with savoury buns if they taste anything like these broccoli-pesto and feta buns. Adding lemon wedges and onion marmalade will up the flavour!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 50 min
100 g broccoli, blanched and chopped
¼ cup olive oil
3 tbsp pesto
500 g store-bought bread dough
½ cup onion marmalade
150 g feta
1 egg, beaten
Lemon wedges, to serve
1. In a food processor, blend the broccoli, oil and pesto to a paste. Add more oil if it is too thick.
2. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a square baking dish.
3. On a floured surface, roll out the dough into a square about 3 cm thick. Spread the broccoli pesto over it, leaving a border around the edges.
4. Heat the marmalade a little to make it more spreadable, then spread it over the pesto. Crumble the feta on top.
5. Roll the dough into a sausage shape. Cut rounds of the dough and pack tightly into the dish. Leave to proof for 30 minutes.
6. Brush the tops of the buns with egg. Bake for 30 minutes, until puffed up and golden. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Kendall-Leigh Nash // HMimages.co.za