Make a delicious hearty meal with this broccoli-cheddar soup! It’s packed with vitamin C and antioxidants, plus it will warm you up big time this meat-free Monday.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 30 min
3 tbsp olive oil
70 g butter
2 onions, peeled and chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled
5 sprigs thyme, chopped
½ tsp chopped sage
1 tsp mustard powder
3 cups vegetable stock
2 broccoli heads, broken into florets
70 g mature cheddar, grated
Salt and pepper
150 g stale bread of any kind, torn into pieces
1 tbsp Moroccan spice
1 tsp sesame seeds
1. Heat oil and 1 tbsp butter in a pot and fry the onions until soft and slightly brown. Crush the garlic and add the herbs and mustard. Cook for 3 minutes.
2. Add the stock to the pot and bring to the boil, then add the broccoli and cook until it is tender.
3. Use a food processor or hand blender to blend the mixture until smooth. Stir through the cheese and season.
4. To make the croutons, melt the remaining butter in a pan. Toss the bread in the hot butter until golden brown. Add the Moroccan spice and sesame seeds and season.
5. Serve the soup topped with the croutons.