Get all the flavour, minus the calories, with these pan-fried brinjal slices. It’s the ideal meat- and gluten-free lasagne alternative.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 30 min
3 large brinjals, peeled
⅓ cup olive oil
½ onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
400 g tin chopped tomatoes
Basil, to garnish
Grated Parmesan, to garnish
1. Top and tail the brinjals and cut into 1 cm thick slices. Cut into rectangles to look like pasta sheets.
2. Steam the slices in batches for 2–3 minutes, until soft.
3. Heat oil in a pan and fry the slices in batches until browned, adding more oil as needed.
4. For the sauce, heat some oil, and fry the onion and garlic until fragrant, 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, salt and pepper, and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Place the mixture in a blender and pulse until chunky.
6. Spoon tomato sauce over the fried brinjal and sprinkle with basil leaves and Parmesan.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
There is so much more you can do with this versatile veg, so why not try these brinjal pizza bites? The kids will love them!