Brinjals are so delicious and are one of the most versatile veggies! Try them in this simple brinjal and feta focaccia for a light summer supper.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 40 min
10 g yeast
75 ml lukewarm water
150 g white bread flour
1 tsp sugar
Salt and pepper
3 baby brinjals, very thinly sliced
1 wheel feta
Parmesan, grated, to sprinkle
1. Preheat oven to 190°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
2. Mix the yeast and water until the yeast is totally dissolved.
3. In a deep bowl, mix the flour, sugar and 1 tsp salt. Add yeast mixture and combine with your hands. When the dough starts to come together, transfer it to a floured surface. Knead dough until smooth.
4. Transfer dough to a bowl, cover with cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour.
5. Transfer dough to the baking tray. Spread it out and shape it with your hands.
6. Sprinkle the brinjal slices with salt and pepper. Arrange them on the focaccia.
7. Bake for 30–35 minutes, until crispy and golden brown.
8. Remove the focaccia from the oven. Crumble the feta over it and sprinkle with Parmesan. Serve warm.
Recipe & styling: Diane Heierli
Photography: Christoph Heierli