If you’re looking for quick, affordable and healthy meal options then you should add these yummy brinjal and baby marrow roll-ups to the list!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 50 min
6 baby marrows, thinly sliced lengthways
2 brinjals, thinly sliced lengthways
4 cups chopped spinach
1 wheel feta
Salt and pepper
1 white onion, peeled and finely chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
410 g tin chopped tomatoes
2 tbsp chopped origanum
½ tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Heat a griddle pan. Brush the baby marrow and brinjal slices with oil and grill until charred, about 3 minutes a side.
3. Steam spinach for 5 minutes, until wilted. Mix with the feta and season.
4. Fry the onion for 5 minutes, until soft. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, then add tomatoes, origanum, sugar, and season. Cook for 15 minutes. If the sauce becomes too thick, add a splash of water.
5. To assemble, place a slice of brinjal on top of a slice of baby marrow. Place 2 tbsp spinach in the middle, and then roll up the slices. Repeat.
6. Spoon the tomato sauce into an ovenproof dish and carefully add the roll-ups.
7. Bake for 20 minutes.
Recipe & styling: Caro Alberts
Photography: Kendall-leigh Nash