There’s nothing quite as comforting as bright vegetable and chicken soup when you’re under the weather. Use any veggies of your choice for this recipe.
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 10 min
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
6 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized pieces
3 carrots, diced
150 g green beans, topped, tailed and chopped
3 celery stalks, chopped
3 red peppers, chopped
4 cups chicken stock
1½ cups cream
1. Heat the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Fry the onion until browned and fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for another minute.
2. Add the chicken and fry until it starts to brown.
3. Add the carrots, beans, celery and red pepper. Season well with salt and pepper. Sauté until the veggies are sweating.
4. Add the chicken stock and bring to a gentle simmer. Cook until the chicken is done and the veggies are tender, but not soggy.
5. Strain the chicken and veggies and set aside. Add the liquid back to the pot and simmer until reduced and thickened slightly. Add the chicken and veggies back to the pot.
6. Add the cream to the chicken and vegetable soup and heat through. Season to taste and serve.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth Mackenzie
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
This home-made chicken noodle soup is another winter favourite filled with vitamins and minerals.