Any braai-lover knows the wonders of braaibroodjies. Why not try something different with these with butterscotch, peanut brittle and Brie braaibroodjies?
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
2 tbsp butter
½ cup brown sugar
⅓ cup cream
125 g Brie, thickly sliced
8 slices white bread
50 g peanut brittle, chopped
1. Melt butter in a non-stick pan. Just before completely melted, add sugar. Mix with a wooden spoon. Stir every minute or so.
2. Once consistency starts to change from grainy to liquid, add cream. Reduce the heat and whisk well. Cook for 10 minutes, whisking often.
3. Remove from the heat and add the salt. Set aside to cool slightly.
4. Arrange the Brie on 4 slices of bread. Pour over the butterscotch and then sprinkle with the peanut brittle. Sandwich with the remaining bread.
5. Wrap each sandwich in foil and toast on a grid over the coals.
Recipe & styling: Caro Alberts
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Nothing beats a classic tomato, onion and cheese braaibroodjie!