Bone broth makes an excellent base for many comfort dishes, including this healthy braised lemon chicken with olives! Go for store-bought or home-made with your broth.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 25 min
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp paprika
8 chicken thighs, with skin on
3 tbsp olive oil
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
½ tsp fennel seeds
¾ cup olives
2 sprigs origanum, cut in half
2 sprigs rosemary, cut in half
1½ lemons, sliced
1½ cups bone broth
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C.
2. Mix the flour and paprika together and season with salt and pepper. Toss the chicken thighs in the flour mixture and set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a pan over medium and fry the garlic and fennel seeds until golden brown. Remove from the pan before adding the chicken.
4. Brown the chicken until the skin is crispy, about 2–3 minutes a side.
5. Transfer the chicken to a casserole dish and top with the garlic and fennel seeds. Add the olives, herbs, lemons and bone broth, cover with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Remove the foil and continue baking for another 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
How about transforming your yummy braised lemon chicken into an immune-boosting lemony chicken and brown rice broth?