Light up the fire and let this mixed veggie paella simmer on the braai while you enjoy a cold one with your mates. Sounds a great time to us!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 40 min
3 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, grated
2 cups long grain rice
2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp chilli flakes
3 cups vegetable stock
1 tin chopped tomatoes
1 green pepper
1 red pepper
1 yellow pepper
200 g sugar snap peas, steamed
1 tin chickpeas, drained
1 lemon, cut into wedges
Handful parsley, chopped
1. Heat the oil in a braai pan over medium coals. Sauté the onion until soft and translucent.
2. Add the garlic, rice, paprika and chilli flakes and stir well. Then add the vegetable stock and chopped tomatoes. Allow to simmer, stirring regularly for about 10 minutes.
3. In the meantime, braai the peppers until charred. Then peel, remove the seeds and slice.
4. Add the peppers, sugar snap peas and chickpeas. Simmer for another 10 minutes, stirring until the rice is cooked. Season to taste.
5. Serve hot with lemon wedges and fresh parsley.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Paella is always a crowd-pleaser at Sunday lunch or dinner parties, so whip up this traditional seafood option!