Make this nutritious bone broth with roast leeks recipe for a deliciously clean meal that’ll keep up your gut health. It’s also amazing at helping you stay warm on a cold winter’s night!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 5 hours 15 min
2 kg beef marrow bones, halved
½ cup breadcrumbs
Salt and pepper
7 leeks, roughly chopped
½ bulb garlic, halved widthways, skin on
4 L water
4 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
8 sprigs parsley
4 sprigs thyme
2 bay leaves
¼ tsp black peppercorns
1. Preheat oven to 200˚C.
2. Sprinkle the marrow bones with the breadcrumbs, salt and pepper. Place in a roasting tin and roast for 20 minutes until crumbs have turned golden. Remove from the tin.
3. Reduce the oven to 180˚C.
4. Place leeks and garlic in the same tin. Roast for 15 minutes.
5. Remove the roasting tin from the oven. Pour over 1 cup warm water to deglaze. Scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the tin and pour everything into a pot (reserving some of the leeks for serving).
6. Add remaining ingredients to the pot (reserving some bones for serving). Bring to the boil, then simmer for 4 hours, skimming any foam from the surface and adding more water as needed.
7. Strain the soup through a sieve, discarding the solids. Serve with roast leeks and marrow bones.
Recipe & Styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Andreas Eiselen