These bolognese-stuffed brinjals are great for meal prepping. Simply make sure you have fresh veggies on hand and bolognese in the freezer. If you aren’t a big fan of brinjals, you can use large brown mushrooms, butternut or tomatoes as substitutes.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
¼ cup olive oil
2 cups Bolognese sauce
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flour
Salt and pepper
1½ cups milk
½ tsp nutmeg
½ cup grated Parmesan
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Cut the brinjals in half, then use a knife to score and scoop out the flesh, leaving a small border. Chop the removed flesh and set aside.
3. Fry the halves on each side until soft and browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan.
4. In the same pan, fry the chopped flesh for 5 minutes, until soft and browned. Add the Bolognese and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
5. For the béchamel sauce, melt the butter in a heavy-based pot. Remove from the heat and stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk, while whisking, until the sauce is smooth and free of lumps.
6. Add the nutmeg, return to low heat and cook for 5 minutes, until the sauce has thickened.
7. Fill brinjals with the Bolognese mixture, top with the béchamel and sprinkle with Parmesan. Store in the fridge until ready to eat.
8. Bake the stuffed brinjals for 40 minutes, until golden brown on top.