Looking for new ways to spice up your braai meat? Try these South African-style boerewors corn dogs for a yummy twist on a local favourite.
MAKES 6 //COOKING TIME 15 min
6 pieces boerewors
¾ cup maize meal
1 cup flour
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
¾ cup milk
1. Fry the boerewors in some oil in a pan over medium heat for 6–8 minutes, until cooked.
2. In the meantime, mix together the maize meal, ¾ cup of the flour, sugar and baking powder. Season with salt and pepper.
3. Whisk in the egg and milk, and transfer the batter to a jug or tall glass.
4. Insert a skewer into each piece of boerewors. Wipe away any excess oil with a paper towel and roll the boerie in the remaining flour.
5. Heat enough oil to deep-fry over medium heat, ensuring the oil is deep enough to fry an entire piece of boerewors.
6. Working in batches, first dunk the boerewors into the batter, and then deep-fry for 2–3 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Serve hot.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
If you’re keen for a low-carb option, you have to try our cauliflower pap and wors!