There’s nothing better than celebrating our local culture with amazing dishes! With Heritage Day around the corner, why not take the time to make these lovely Bo-Kaap triangle cheesecakes?
MAKES 12 // COOKING TIME 25 min + overnight
1 pack (18) Tennis Biscuits
125 g butter, at room temperature
70 g caster sugar
250 g cream cheese
1 tsp lemon juice
18 maraschino cherries, stalks removed, or glacé cherries
1. Line a baking tray (one that will fit into the fridge) with foil.
2. Arrange the biscuits on the foil in 3 rows of 6.
3. Cream together the butter and caster sugar until pale and fluffy. Add the cream cheese, lemon juice and egg. Whisk to combine everything.
4. Use a spatula to spread the cream cheese mixture evenly over the biscuits.
5. Arrange the cherries in a row, running lengthwise down the middle of the biscuits.
6. Lift the foil on each long side and allow the side rows of biscuits to lift up and inward to make a long triangle. Fold the foil over snugly to hold everything together. Place in the fridge to set overnight.
7. When you are ready to serve, unwrap the cheesecake and slide it on to a cutting board.
8. Cut the cheesecake into 12 slices and serve.
Recipe & styling: Juleta Hirner
Photography: Sarah Woods