This time of year brings with it the sweetest, ripest berries and we’re here to make the most of them! Our blueberry focaccia is light and fresh, perfect as a summer appetiser.
MAKES 1 // COOKING TIME 1 hour, 30 min
500 g flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
3 tbsp olive oil
10 g yeast
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp honey
1 red onion, peeled and cut into petals
1 brown onion, peeled and cut into petals
Salt and black pepper
½ cup blueberries
1–2 wheels feta, roughly chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a baking tray.
2. Mix flour, salt and sugar.
3. Mix 1 tbsp olive oil and 2 cups lukewarm water, then add the yeast. Add ¾ of the flour to the yeast mixture. Mix, adding more flour if needed, until a soft dough forms. Knead the dough for 8–10 minutes until soft and pliable. Cover the dough and leave to proof in a warm spot.
4. Meanwhile, place a pan over medium heat and melt the butter and honey. Fry the onions until caramelised.
5. Once the dough has doubled in size, punch it down. Shape it into an oval and press it flat on the baking tray.
6. Drizzle the dough with 2 tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Scatter blueberries, feta and caramelised onions over the dough.
7. Bake for 45–60 minutes, or until the focaccia is baked through and the top is slightly browned. Serve warm.