The classic, simple recipe that was famously enjoyed by Ernest Hemingway himself, a Bloody Mary is delicious with brunch, and equally socially acceptable. To our readers who are thinking of mixing their own spicy, boozy blend, we suggest you take Mr Hemingway’s advice: ‘If it lacks authority, add more vodka.’
MAKES 1 large jug // COOKING TIME 10 min
1L tomato juice
500 ml vodka
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp Tabasco
1. Pour the tomato juice into a large jar filled halfway with ice.
2. Mix in the vodka.
3. Add a generous pinch of black pepper and a sprinkle of celery salt.
4. Add as much cayenne pepper as your taste buds can handle.
5. Mix in the Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco.
6. Squeeze the limes, strain the juice and add a shot or two to the mixture.
7. Garnish with a celery stick.