Whether you’re looking for a great veggie burger option or are just keen to try something new, our black bean burgers should be at the top of your list. We made the patties from black beans because their rich, earthy flavour mimics that of meat. If you can’t find any, red kidney beans will also do the trick!
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 40 min
For the patties
2 × 400g tin black beans
2 cups breadcrumbs
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, peeled and crushed
2 tbsp chopped coriander
Salt and pepper
Chilli, chopped, to taste
Olive oil, to fry
For the salsa
200g mixed cherry tomatoes, chopped
½ red onion, peeled and chopped
1 avocado, peeled
½ cup sour cream
Juice of 1 lime
4 hamburger rolls, to serve
1. Crush the beans with a fork. Combine with breadcrumbs, onion, garlic, egg, coriander, salt, pepper and chilli.
2. Shape into 4 patties. Place in the fridge for 20 minutes.
3. Heat oil over medium heat and fry patties for 8 minutes on both sides.
4. To make the salsa, combine the tomatoes and red onion.
5. Mash the avo and mix it with sour cream and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Serve the bean burgers on rolls, with salsa and avo cream.