Mixing local flavours is what we do best here at MK, and we’re going to show you how – starting with these biltong and roast pepper calzones.
MAKES 10 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 10 min
½ red pepper
½ green pepper
½ yellow pepper
½ onion, peeled
2 tbsp olive oil
⅓ cup tomato passata
1 kg bread dough
½ cup sliced biltong
⅓ cup thinly sliced basil
¾ cup grated mozzarella
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Place peppers and onion on a baking tray and toss with 1 tbsp oil. Roast for 30–35 minutes, until soft and slightly charred.
3. Turn the oven down to 180°C.
4. Place the hot peppers in a bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to sweat for 20 minutes, then peel off the skins.
5. Place the peppers and onion in a food processor and blitz to make a coarse mixture. Mix in the passata.
6. Divide the bread dough into 10 balls. Roll out each one into a 10 cm round.
7. Spread 2 tbsp pepper passata on the centre of each round. Top with biltong, basil and a sprinkle of mozzarella. Season.
8. Fold each dough round in half and seal the edges by pressing with a fork to make the calzones.
8. Brush each calzone with 1 tbsp olive oil, arrange on a baking tray and bake for 30 minutes, until golden brown.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
Next up we have these biltong and banana fritters with honey butter!