Haul out that braai! You haven’t tasted local quite like this biltong and potato pot from The Ultimate Braai Master 2015 champion John Grundlingh.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
6 potatoes, boiled and peeled
50 g butter
1 onion, peeled and sliced
3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
200 g biltong dust, plus extra for topping
250 ml cream
300 g grated Cheddar
250 g breadcrumbs
Sliced biltong, for topping
1. Slice the potatoes about 5 mm thick. Set aside.
2. In a fireproof pan, melt butter and fry the onion and garlic for 10 minutes, until golden.
3. In a fireproof casserole dish, layer potato slices, biltong dust and onion. Pour the cream over. Simmer, covered, for 30 minutes.
4. Top with cheese, breadcrumbs, biltong dust and sliced biltong.
5. Cover and cook for a further 20 minutes.
Recipe: John Grundlingh
Styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
This dish will pair deliciously with our lamb and apricot sosaties!