You’ve never seen fried chicken like ours before. It tastes best when it is marinated for 2 days in the fridge, but 2 hours will also do if you are short on time and want it, like, tonight. We also gave it a unique South African twist by making the batter with buttermilk and pap. Just wait till you try it!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 45 mins, plus 2 hours marinating time
300 ml buttermilk
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp cayenne pepper
6 chicken legs
6 chicken thighs
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
1 tbsp salt
100g mielie meal
3 eggs, beaten
2 lemons, cut into wedges
1. Mix together the buttermilk, paprika and cayenne pepper.
2. Place the chicken pieces in the buttermilk mixture and leave to marinate for at least 2 hours. For best results, marinate for 2 days (but not longer).
3. Preheat the oven to 180°C and heat the oil in a deep pot.
4. Remove the chicken and set the remaining marinade aside. Prepare three dipping bowls as follows: 1. Marinade; 2. Flour, salt and mielie meal; 3. Beaten eggs.
5. Dip the chicken in the bowls in this order: marinade, flour/mealie meal mixture, egg, then the flour again. Firmly pat the flour on to the chicken. Do not shake it off.
6. Deep-fry the chicken in batches for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown.
7. Place on a baking tray and bake for 15 minutes, until cooked. Serve with lemon wedges.
Looking for a little lunch inspiration? Transform your midday meal with a toasted chicken sandwich!