Just when you thought a braai couldn’t get any more lekker, this beer-smoked chicken recipe to enjoy around the fire.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 2 hours
For the chicken
1 whole chicken
330 ml can beer
For the marinade
150 g butter
3 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
3 sprigs thyme, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
For the dry rub
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 tsp smoked paprika
Salt and black pepper
1. Prepare a smoker or kettle braai by packing the coals so that there is ample room for the chicken to sit in the middle.
2. Combine all of the marinade ingredients and rub the mixture under the skin of the chicken.
3. Combine all of the dry rub ingredients and rub the mixture over the chicken.
4. Open the beer and insert it into the cavity of the chicken. Place the chicken in the middle of the braai so it doesn’t cook over the direct heat.
5. Add smoking chips to the coals, close the lid and smoke for 1½ hours.