Get back to basics with your weeknight dinners and enjoy this budget-friendly beef schnitzel with potato wedges using minute steak.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
6 potatoes, cut into wedges
3 tbsp vegetable oil
600 g minute steaks
⅓ cup flour
1½ cups breadcrumbs
For the wedges
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Add the potatoes to a pot of cold salted water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer for 5 minutes. Drain and cool.
3. Toss the wedges in the oil and season. Arrange skin-side down in an oven tray.
4. Pop in the oven and reduce the heat to 180°C. Roast for 1 hour, until golden and crispy. Season to taste.
For the beef schnitzel
1. Use a rolling pin to flatten the steaks slightly and season well with salt and pepper.
2. Add the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs to 3 separate plates. Coat each steak in the flour, then egg and lastly breadcrumbs. Arrange on a baking tray and chill for 20 minutes.
3. Heat oil in a pan over high heat. Fry the steaks for 3 minutes on each side, until golden.
4. Slice the steaks and serve with the wedges.
Breadcrumbs can be pricey, but you can crush up some cornflakes and season them with salt and pepper for a budget-friendly option that will add some extra crunch.
Recipe & styling: Elizabeth MacKenzie
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
Another pairing you can’t go wrong with is tikka chicken wings and potato wedges!