These beef burgers with spicy mayo and pickled slaw are a fresh and healthy weeknight option the fam won’t be able to resist.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 40 min
For the slaw
½ tsp salt
3 cups (±200 g) shredded cabbage
¼ cup red-wine vinegar
Handful parsley, roughly chopped
Zest and juice of 1 lemon
2 tbsp honey
For the basting sauce
5 tbsp honey
2 tbsp tomato sauce
1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
For the spicy mayo
1 cup mayo
1 tsp paprika
Juice of ½ lemon
For the beef burgers
1 kg mince
1 cup grated Cheddar
3 tbsp breadcrumbs
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp origanum
Olive oil, to fry
8 hamburger buns, toasted
1. For the slaw, grate cucumber over a bowl and throw out the juice. Sprinkle with salt and add remaining ingredients. Set aside.
2. Combine all the basting sauce ingredients.
3. Combine all the spicy mayo ingredients.
4. For the patties, combine all the ingredients, except the oil.
5. Measure out ½ cups of patty mixture. Roll into balls and gently flatten.
6. Heat some oil in a pan over medium heat. Fry the patties for 4 minutes per side. Add the basting sauce for the last 1 minute.
7. To serve, dollop mayo on to each bun. Add a patty, slaw and watercress.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Not a beef burger fan? Try this vegan burger recipe instead.