Mzansi Cuisine Style food blogger Thuli Gogela shows us how to make the perfect barbecue chicken wings with this tasty local recipe!
MAKES 15 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 55 min
15 chicken wings
2 tbsp barbecue spice
6 tbsp soy sauce
4 tbsp tomato sauce
4 tbsp honey
2 tbsp olive oil
3 spring onions, sliced, to serve
1 cup coriander, to serve
1. Light the braai or preheat the oven to 200°C.
2. Pat the chicken wings dry with paper towel and pop into a bowl.
3. Mix together the barbecue spice, soy sauce, tomato sauce, honey and olive oil. Pour over the chicken wings and toss, until they are all fully coated.
4. Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for at least an hour, but preferably overnight.
5. Braai the chicken wings over hot coals, brushing with extra marinade throughout, until cooked through. Make sure the coals aren’t too hot otherwise the chicken will be dark on the outside but raw inside. Or cook them in the oven for 35-40 minutes, basting throughout, until done.
6. Serve with onion and coriander.
Styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za
Peri-peri chicken wings are another South African foodie favourite that we just can’t get enough of!