Not only are potatoes affordable and filling, they make the best meals too! Try our quick classic bangers and mash and you’ll see what we mean.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 45 min
8 pork bangers
5 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1 cup cream
¼ cup butter
2 cups green peas
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Arrange the bangers on a baking tray, drizzle with oil and season. Grill, turning at regular intervals, until golden brown on the outside and fully cooked, about 25 minutes.
2. Heat a pot of salted water over high, until boiling. Add the potatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, until the potatoes are soft.
3. Strain the potatoes and return to the pot. Add the cream, season with salt and pepper and mash until smooth.
4. Melt the butter in a pan over medium-high heat. Add the peas and sauté until they are slightly softened and have turned a vibrant green, about 3 minutes. Season well.
5. Serve the pork bangers on top of the mashed potatoes with the buttery peas on the side.
Recipe & styling: Leila-Ann Mokotedi
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
These frankfurters with mashed potato and spinach are a Dutch take on this classic.