Change up your usual brekkie for this yummy banana bread French toast! It goes perfectly with some honey and almonds. And a hot, strong cup of coffee, of course.
SERVES 2 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 20 min
½ cup honey, plus extra to serve
⅓ cup coconut oil, melted
4 eggs (2 whole, 2 whisked)
4 ripe bananas (3 mashed, 1 sliced)
¼ cup milk or water
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp vanilla essence
½ tsp salt
1¾ cups wholewheat flour
½ cup flaked almonds
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a loaf tin.
2. In a bowl, whisk together the honey and oil. Add the 2 whole eggs and beat well. Whisk in the 3 mashed bananas and the milk or water. If the coconut oil begins to solidify, warm your mixture in the microwave for 10 seconds.
3. Whisk in ½ tbsp cinnamon, bicarb, vanilla and salt.
4. Stir in the flour until just combined, a few lumps are fine.
5. Pour into the tin. Sprinkle remaining cinnamon on top and use a skewer to swirl it, creating a marbled pattern. Bake for 55–60 minutes, until a skewer comes out clean.
6. Allow the banana bread to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes. Turn it out on to a rack, cool for a further 20 minutes, then slice.
7. Mix the whisked eggs with 2 tbsp water. Dunk 2 slices of banana bread into this.
8. Warm a pan over medium heat. Fry the banana bread for 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown.
9. Serve with sliced banana, honey and almonds.