Want to impress your dinner party guests with a fancy but relatively easy-to-make dessert? Then this delicious baklava recipe is for you!
SERVES 8 // COOK TIME 45 min
2 cups chopped nuts
2 lemons (zest and juice)
1½ cups sugar
500 g phyllo
125 g butter or margarine, melted
1. Preheat oven to 150°C.
2. Scatter nuts on a baking tray. Bake for 5–10 minutes, until golden brown.
3. Place lemon juice and zest, sugar and 1 cup water in a pot. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until the sugar has dissolved. Then add the nuts.
4. Grease a 25 cm baking tin.
5. Line with 2 sheets of phyllo, brushing each layer with butter. Sprinkle ⅓ of the nut mixture over the phyllo. Repeat twice more, finishing with a 4th layer of phyllo.
6. Increase the oven to 180°C and bake for 35 minutes, until golden brown. Allow to cool for 20 minutes before slicing
If you want another impressive dessert that will feel like Christmas in August, then it’s time to get your bake on with this lovely gingerbread Swiss roll with cinnamon cream! Whether you’re prepping for Sunday lunch or just feel like putting your baking skills to the test, this Christmassy dessert is a winner.