With a glorious change of season comes some glorious veggies – fill your plate with these healthy baked Parmesan pumpkin fries.
Serves 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour
1 small pumpkin
4 cups water
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp paprika
3 tbsp Parmesan, grated
¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp sea salt
2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
1. Preheat oven to 220°C and line two baking trays with baking paper.
2. Slice the pumpkin in half and scoop out the seeds and pulp. Using a vegetable peeler, peel the pumpkin, then cut the flesh into 1.5 cm fries.
3. Soak the pumpkin fries in cold water for 30 minutes, then drain and pat dry with paper towel.
4. Place the cornflour and pumpkin fries in a large bowl. Mix to cover the fries well.
5. Drizzle with olive oil, and then add the paprika. Toss to coat.
6. Bake the fries in a single layer for 20 minutes, or until crisp and golden brown.
7. Remove the fries from the oven and turn the heat to grill. Sprinkle the fries with Parmesan and return to the oven, grilling them for a further 5 minutes.
8. To serve, top with fresh parsley, sea salt and toasted pumpkin seeds.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
We can’t forget the OG veggie-alternative – baked baby marrow fries!