Whether you’re looking to try out the meat-free life or are just keen to load up on veggies, this baked falafel with red pepper hummus and roast chickpeas makes the perfect midweek snack!
SERVES 4–6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
2 red peppers
3 garlic cloves
⅔ cup olive oil
3 cups chickpeas
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
Salt and pepper
Handful fresh parsley
Handful fresh coriander handful
Zest and juice of 1 large lemon
½ onion, finely diced
1 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp tahini
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Coat the peppers and garlic in 2 tbsp oil. Place on a baking tray and roast for 30–45 minutes.
3. On another baking tray, coat 1 cup chickpeas in paprika, cumin, salt and pepper, and 1 tbsp oil. Roast for 20 minutes, until golden brown.
4. Place remaining chickpeas, parsley, coriander, lemon zest and juice, roast garlic, and salt and pepper in a food processor. Blend to a fine crumb. Transfer half the mixture to a bowl.
5. To the chickpea mixture in the bowl, add onion, baking powder and 3 tbsp oil. Form into golf-ball sized balls and place on a greased baking tray. Bake for 40 minutes, turning once.
6. To the chickpea mixture in the food processor, add 1 roast red pepper, tahini and ¼ cup olive oil, and blend. Gradually add about ¼ cup cold water while blending, until smooth. Season to taste.
7. Slice the remaining red pepper into strips. Serve the falafel on the hummus, with pepper strips and chickpeas.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za