Save on groceries and your budget with this fun local baked boerewors chilli recipe! You can also make it vegetarian by simply swapping the boerewors for your favourite kind of bean or pulse.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 40 min
2 tbsp vegetable oil
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, grated
500 g boerewors, sliced
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp paprika
1 tin chopped tomatoes
3 tbsp vinegar
1 tin butter beans, drained
1 cup frozen sweet corn
1 tortilla wrap
1 cup grated Cheddar
3 jalapeños, thinly sliced
1. Preheat oven to 200°C.
2. Heat oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper, and sauté till the onion is translucent. Then, add the garlic and fry until fragrant.
3. Add the boerewors, cumin and paprika, and fry for 5 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and vinegar, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the beans and sweetcorn, and cook until heated through.
5. Pour the mixture into an ovenproof dish and top with the tortilla wrap. Brush with extra oil and top with cheese. Bake for 10 minutes.
6. Serve your baked boerewors chilli topped with the fresh coriander and sliced jalapeños for extra heat.
Recipe & styling: Joni Dames & Leila-Ann Mokotedi
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za
For a healthier option, try our traditional garden salad with boerewors patties.