Put that slow-cooker to good use and whip up some deliciously sweet bacon jam to enjoy with spreads, breads, cheeses and more!
MAKES 2 cups // COOKING TIME 6 hours 40 min
600 g bacon, diced
3 onions, peeled and finely diced
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely chopped
¾ cup brown sugar, packed
¾ cup brewed coffee
½ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup honey
¼ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
1. In a pan, cook the bacon on high heat until browned, for about 15 minutes.
2. Remove the bacon fat, leaving only 1 tbsp fat in the pan. Add the onions and garlic and cook on high for 20 minutes.
3. Add sugar, coffee, vinegar, honey, cumin and cayenne to the onion mixture.
4. Pour the mixture into the slow cooker and cook, uncovered, on high heat for 6 hours or until the liquid becomes syrupy.
5. Allow to cool completely, then store in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 4 weeks.
Recipe & styling: Amerae Vercueil
Photography: Andreas Eiselen // HMimages.co.za