Fancy something different? This delicious bread is nutritious and filling, with ample flavour too! Have you ever tried a Cheddar soda bread before? Let us know!
SERVES 1 // COOKING TIME 1 hour, 5 min
400 g self-raising flour, plus extra for dusting
300 g baby marrows
100 g mature cheddar, grated, plus extra for topping
50 g oats, plus extra for topping
1 tbsp thyme
1½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp salt
300 ml buttermilk
1 tsp sugar
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Dust a baking tray and work surface with flour.
2. Grate the baby marrows and squeeze out any extra moisture.
3. Place the baby marrows, flour, cheese, oats, thyme, bicarb and salt in a bowl. Mix together with your hands. Add the buttermilk and sugar, and combine using a wooden spoon. Mix until a rough dough forms.
4. Turn the dough out on to the work surface and briefly knead until it comes together. Make sure you don’t over-knead.
5. Shape the dough into a round loaf and transfer to the baking tray. Sprinkle with the extra oats and cheese, and use a sharp knife to score a cross on top.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, or until golden and crispy on top.