These baby marrow breakfast muffins are great brekkie options! You can make them at the beginning of the week and keep them in the freezer until you’re ready to have one.
MAKES 8 // COOKING TIME 50 min
1 tsp vegetable oil
1 onion, finely chopped
5 baby marrows (3 grated, 2 sliced into ribbons)
1 cup buttermilk
100 g mozzarella, cubed
3 eggs, whisked
2 cups wholewheat flour
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
Salt and pepper
Milk, to brush
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease an eight-hole muffin tin.
2. Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion. Fry until golden, about 10 minutes.
3. In a bowl, mix the onion, grated baby marrow, buttermilk, mozzarella and eggs.
4. Fold in the flour, bicarb, salt and pepper.
5. Lay a ribbon of baby marrow at the base of each muffin hole, top with muffin mixture and lay another ribbon on top. Brush with milk.
6. Bake for 30 minutes, until golden. Remove from the oven and leave to cool in the muffin tin for 10 minutes.
Recipe & Styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto