Wrap up these avocado, biltong and feta pizza cones in tinfoil to create the perfect picnic snack with its own container. You’ll also have no washing up to do when you get home.
MAKES 6 // COOKING TIME 15 min
6 medium tortilla wraps
¾ cup tomato puree
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
2 cups grated mozzarella
1¼ cups sliced biltong
1¼ cups baby tomatoes, halved
1½ wheels feta, crumbled
½ avocado, chopped
¼ cup basil
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Shape six large pieces of foil into cones.
2. Brush both sides of each tortilla wrap with olive oil. Fold cm of the bottom upwards to create a straight side. Then wrap around foil cones with the folded side at the bottom.
3. Close the bottom and secure the overlap with toothpicks to prevent it from unrolling.
4. Turn a muffin tray upsidedown and arrange the cones in the spaces between the cups to prevent them from moving.
5. Bake for 10 minutes, turning halfway, until golden brown and holding their shape. Allow to cool.
6. Mix the tomato puree and dried herbs together.
7. Remove the foil from the tortilla cones and spread the tomato puree on the inside of each one. Layer with cheese, biltong, tomatoes, feta and more tomato puree until they are filled, leaving space for the avo.
8. Return the pizza cones to the muffin tray and bake for 5–6 minutes, until hot and the cheese is melted.
9. Top with avocado and fresh basil, and serve.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Jotham van Tonder // HMimages.co.za
A picnic wouldn’t be complete without some hearty sandwiches, and this caprese loaf is perfect!