Don’t let the vegetables fool you, this autumn veggie pizza is flavoursome and filling! Change it up by going gluten-free or trying a hummus base spread.
MAKES 4 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 25 min
3 cups warm water
10 g instant yeast
2 tsp sugar
¼ cup olive oil
Pinch of salt
1 kg flour
1. Mix water with yeast, sugar, olive oil and salt. Allow to stand for 10 minutes, until frothy.
2. Add flour and carry on mixing until it becomes a sticky dough.
3. Transfer to an oiled bowl and cover loosely with cling film. Let it rise for about an hour, or until it has doubled in size.
4. Knock back and knead for a few minutes before shaping into bases or freezing to use later.
The Tomato Sauce
MAKES 1L // COOKING TIME 1 hour
10 tomatoes, halved
Olive oil, to grease and fry
1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
Salt and black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a baking tray.
2. Place the halved tomatoes on the tray and bake for 35–40 minutes, until cooked down and slightly charred.
3. Fry the onion in a little olive oil until softened. Add the garlic and fry for a few minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and cook for 10 minutes. Season.
5. Blitz with a stick blender or in a food processor.
6. Store the tomato sauce in the fridge or the freezer until you’re ready to use it.
MAKES 4 // COOKING TIME 50 min
1 brinjal, cut into rounds
1 red onion, peeled and cut into wedges
Salt and black pepper
1 batch basic pizza dough
250 ml crème fraîche
130 g basil pesto
120 g sun-dried tomatoes
100 g portobellini mushrooms, halved
300 g mozzarella, grated
30 g rocket
1. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line baking trays with baking paper.
2. Arrange brinjal and onions on a baking tray, drizzle with plenty of oil and season well. Roast for 15 minutes, or until cooked through and slightly charred. Remove and set aside.
3. Increase oven to 220°C.
4. Roll out the pizza dough to make 4 medium (or 2 large) bases. Place on baking trays. Drizzle each pizza base with oil and spread with 1–2 tbsp crème fraîche.
5. Combine the remaining crème fraîche with the pesto and set aside.
6. Top the pizzas with the roast veggies, then sprinkle with the sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms and mozzarella.
7. Bake for 15–20 minutes.
8. Top with handfuls of fresh rocket and spoonfuls of pesto cream to serve.