Dreaming of buttery puff pastry, creamy brie and roasted asparagus? Then dig into our mouth-watering asparagus, Brie & caramelised onion rolls. They’re great for a quick lunchtime snack or even a light dinner.
SERVES 8 // COOK TIME 55 min
2 tbsp butter
2 onions, sliced
2 thyme sprigs, picked, plus extra to serve
2 rolls puff pastry
125 g Brie, sliced into 8
600 g asparagus, trimmed
2 tbsp olive oil
1 egg, beaten
1. Melt the butter in a pot over medium heat. Once bubbling, add the onions and thyme and cook, stirring frequently, until caramelised, about 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 190°C. Line 2 baking trays. 3. Cut each roll of pastry into quarters and lay out on the prepared trays.
4. Add a spoonful of caramelised onions to the centre of each square. Top with a piece of Brie and a small handful of asparagus. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with extra thyme.
5. Fold two opposite corners of each square over the asparagus and pinch them together.
6. Brush with egg wash and bake for 20–25 minutes. Sprinkle with extra thyme and serve immediately.
Recipes & styling: Elizabeth mackenzie
Photography: Sean Dollery
Just because all the bright summer produce you love is going out of season, doesn’t mean you can’t whip up a beautiful meal with fresh ingredients, like zucchini fritti (fried baby-marrow fingers).