It’s time to bust out your trusty oven-proof dish for this juicy and budget-friendly apple cider chicken casserole. Gather the fam!
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
6–8 chicken pieces
2 tsp paprika
1½ tbsp mustard
2 garlic cloves, minced
¾ cup apple cider
1 tbsp honey
2 tbsp lemon zest
2 cups chicken stock
1½ cups water
1 cup brown rice
2 tsp dried mixed herbs
4 thyme sprigs
2 tbsp butter
1 onion, chopped
1 cup baby tomatoes
2 beetroots, cooked and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 180°C.
2. Season the chicken with paprika, salt and pepper. Heat some oil in a pan and brown the chicken for 4 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan, and brush all over with mustard.
3. Heat some more oil in the pan and fry the garlic for 2 minutes. Add the cider, honey and lemon zest, and fry for 3 minutes.
4. Add the stock, water, rice and herbs. Boil for 3 minutes.
5. Transfer to a casserole dish and add the chicken. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
6. Dot the chicken casserole with butter, add remaining ingredients and bake, uncovered, for 20 minutes, until cooked.
Recipe: Jezza Rae Larsen
Styling: Kate Turner
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Chicken is such a versatile ingredient and can be enjoyed with so many flavours! Just take our bone broth braised lemon chicken recipe.