Raise a glass to festive cheer this Christmas with a locally-inspired rendition of one of the festive season’s best sippers: Amarula eggnog.
SERVES 4 // COOKING TIME 15 min
5 eggs, separated
½ cup sugar
2½ cups milk
½ cup double cream
1 cinnamon stick
1 star anise pod
½ tsp mixed spice
⅓ cup Amarula Cream
3 tbsp brandy
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup whipped cream
2 tsp cinnamon
Festive sugar cookies, to serve
1. Beat the egg yolks and sugar together until thick and creamy.
2. Add the milk, double cream, cinnamon stick, star anise pod and mixed spice to a pot over medium heat. Bring to the boil and immediately remove from the heat to cool slightly.
3. Remove the cinnamon stick and star anise pod, then slowly drizzle the milk into the egg mixture, whisking continuously.
4. Whisk in the Amarula, brandy and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate for about 1 hour, until cold.
5. Just before serving, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form and fold them through the chilled eggnog.
6. Divide the Amarula eggnog into glasses and top with whipped cream and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Serve with sugar cookies on the side.
Recipe & styling: Kate Turner
Photography: K-Leigh Siebtritz // HMimages.co.za
And for the little ones? Whip up a child-friendly eggnog by heat some store-bought custard with the spices, allow to cool and whisk in whipped cream. Or you can try our gingerbread Horlicks topped with home-made meringue.