These potato-bread alphabet croutons will get the kids super excited for their meals. Grab the cookie cutter and get going!
MAKES 1 loaf potato-bread // COOKING TIME 1 hour 30 min
1 potato, peeled and chopped
1 cup water
1 tbsp yeast
5 tsp sugar
¼ cup melted butter
2 tbsp olive oil
2 eggs, 1 whisked
1 tsp salt
1¾ cups flour
1. Boil the potato in the water until soft. Drain, reserving ½ cup water. Let the water cool until lukewarm.
2. Add the yeast and ½ tsp sugar to the water. Leave for 5 minutes, until foamy.
3. Mash the potato with the remaining sugar, butter, oil, unwhisked egg and salt until well combined.
4. Add the yeast mixture. Then add the flour bit by bit, kneading lightly, until a dough forms.
5. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and knead for 5 minutes, until smooth and elastic.
6. Place the dough in an oiled bowl, cover with a dish towel and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a baking tray.
8. Turn the dough out on to a floured surface and roll out to 1 cm thick.
9. Using alphabet biscuit cutters, cut out letters from the dough. Arrange on the baking tray and brush with the whisked egg.
10. Bake for 15 minutes, until golden. Cool on a wire rack before scattering over your soup.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Sean Dollery // HMimages.co.za
Enjoy your alphabet croutons with this traditional chicken soup for a healthy treat!