Treat your guests to a small taste of fine dining with this healthy and delicious almond-crusted lamb, served with red pepper salsa.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME 1 hour 45 min
120 g almonds, plus to serve
2 garlic cloves
Handful thyme, plus to serve
Salt and pepper
500 g boneless leg of lamb
½ cup olive oil
1 red pepper, seeded
1 tbsp red chilli flakes
1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with enough baking paper to wrap the lamb in.
2. Blitz the almonds, 1 garlic clove, herbs, salt and pepper in a food processor until the mixture resembles crumbs.
3. Sprinkle crumbs over the baking tray. Place the lamb on top and roll in the crumbs until fully coated. Drizzle with 75 ml olive oil.
4. Pull up sides of the baking paper and wrap the lamb in it.
5. Roast for 20 minutes, then reduce the heat to 180°C and unwrap the lamb. Roast for a further 40 minutes, basting every 15 minutes.
6. Remove lamb from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
7. Toss red pepper and 1 garlic clove in the remaining oil and place on a baking tray. Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes.
8. Blend the roast pepper and garlic with the chilli flakes and ¼ cup hot water until chunky.
9. Spread salsa on each plate. Top with a slice of almond-crusted lamb, and extra thyme and almonds.
Recipe & styling: Chiara Turilli
Photography: Samantha Pinto // HMimages.co.za