Do we need to say anymore? There is no need to feel daunted when facing a nougat recipe. It is incredibly easy to make; our almond and apricot nougat comes together in a mere 6 steps. You will need some liquid glucose and a sugar thermometer, both of which can be purchased from a wide range of supermarkets.
SERVES 6 // COOKING TIME
500g icing sugar
¼ cup honey
2 tsp liquid glucose
2 egg whites
100g almonds, lightly toasted
100g dried apricots, chopped
2 sheets rice paper
1. Combine the sugar, honey, glucose and ¼ cup water in a heavy-based pan over a very low heat.
2. Stir the mixture continuously. Using a sugar thermometer to test the temperature, heat the mixtureto 140ºC.
3. Whisk egg whites in a heatproof bowl until stiff. Slowly pour in the sugar syrup, whisking constantly to completely combine. Whisk until stiff.
4. Stir in the almonds and apricots.
5. Pour into a baking tin lined with a sheet of rice paper. Top with the other sheet of rice paper. Press the nougat between the two sheets so that it is even.
6. Leave to cool, then slice into logs and wrap in baking paper.