We are back to a traditional eggnog recipe with this one, raw egg and all. Although raw eggs have no negative health implications, many people don’t like the taste. In our recipe, we mostly use the whipped egg whites for that lovely texture this jolly drink is known for. So if you aren’t into that as an option, feel free to swap them out for unsweetened whipped cream.
SERVES 8 // COOKING TIME 20 mins, plus overnight
750 ml milk
250 ml thick cream
3 cinnamon sticks
1 vanilla pod, seeds only
1 tsp nutmeg, extra to garnish
5 eggs, separated
180 ml dark rum or bourbon
1. In a pot, combine milk, cream, cinnamon, vanilla seeds and nutmeg. Bring to the boil over medium heat. Take off the heat.
2. Beat egg yolks and sugar until combined and thick ribbons form when the whisk is lifted. (Save the egg whites for later.)
3. Add the milk mixture slowly, whisking until it is smooth. Add rum or bourbon.
4. Pop in the fridge overnight for the flavour to develop. It will keep for up to 3 days.
5. Before serving, beat the egg whites until soft peaks. Fold into the eggnog until combined.
6. Sprinkle with extra nutmeg.